International Organization for Migration › CANVAC Client Service Assistant (Intern)
Open to international and external candidates
CANVAC Client Service Assistant (Intern)
Duty Station: Belgrade, Serbia
Type of Appointment: 3 months (with possibility of extension up to 6 months)
Reference Code: CVN 2019 / 02 – CANVAC Client Service Assistant (Intern)
Background: Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have embarked on a major change programme designed to transform the way that it operates its visa application system. IRCC is implementing a Global Visa Application Centre (VAC) Network, having awarded a seven year contract to a partnership between VFS Global (lead) and IOM (project partner). The VAC network will provide applicants with more convenient channels for visa submissions and improved access to enhanced administrative services, including capture of biometrics, all delivered in accordance with strict IRCC performance benchmarks and privacy requirements.
IOM’s Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division’s on-going work in improving migration management includes developing Immigration and Visa Support Solutions (IVSS) for governments and migrants worldwide. Within the scope of this work, IOM already provides VAC services in over 15 countries. IOM operated VACs handle all of the time- consuming administrative tasks of the visa application process and aim to ensure that only properly completed visa applications are submitted. Such outsourcing partnerships result in reduced costs and workloads for the Immigration Departments of Member States and faster visa processing times, as well as improved service standards for visa applicants. Perhaps most importantly, such partnerships enable immigration officers to make more informed decisions based on complete information, while focusing on their core function; making visa decisions, and not handling administrative tasks, while focusing on their core function; making visa decisions.
General functions: Under the general oversight of the regional VAC (Visa Application Centre) Manager for Eastern Europe and Central Asia programmatically and the IOM Head of Office administratively, reporting directly to VAC Team Leader the incumbent will be responsible for offering client service for the Canadian Visa Application Centre operated by IOM; particularly s/he will:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide client service excellence to applicants at all times, in full compliance with the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) Statement of Work (SOW) and the IRCC Service Standards.
- Assist in the provision of client information: distribution of application forms, information sheets and checklists regarding visa requirements; assist with telephone, fax, e-mail, chat and SMS inquiries from clients (including requirements for submitting visa applications and the location of client’s passport), providing timely and accurate information to clients; marketing and providing assistance to clients with Value Added Services including but not limited to Self-Service and Assisted Data Entry services. Informing clients of any changes to visa requirements or submission procedures.
- Collection of Fees: Where required, collect the applicable Canadian visa fee(s) and IOM service fee(s); issue accurate receipts; daily reconciliation of receipts and reporting same; Safe keeping of all applications, supporting documentation and fees collected and responsible for CANVAC office keys;
- Returning of passports, supporting documentation and visa decisions. Assist in collecting processed applications; returning processed applications, passports and supporting documentation;
- Reporting: Assist in maintaining accurate and detailed records of all applications and fees received, and report these records daily; w/o biometric;
- Maintain a professional appearance and migrant friendly demeanour at all times;
- Maintain positive working relationships with IOM’s Lead VAC Partner, VFS Global and IRCC staff locally.
- Immediately inform management of any problems or issues related to her/his daily work and regularly make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client service.
- Comply with the IOM Policy for a Respectful Working Environment”, “IOM Confidentiality Agreement”, “IOM Data Protection Manual”, IOM Standards of Conduct”, and the “IOM Policy on Reporting Irregular Practices, Wrongdoing and Misconduct”.
- Conduct other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Office and the VAC Regional Managers
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of all clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative:
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation:
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
Planning and organizing:
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Qualifications and Experience
- Education/Training: Secondary School Diploma or equivalent in Business Management, Client Services, Social Science or related discipline preferred; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
Fluency in Serbian and English is mandatory. Knowledge of French language is considered as an advantage.
Method of application
The vacancy is open for internal and external candidates that have the legal right to reside and work in Serbia.
We invite all interested candidates to submit their applications (CV) and motivation letter (not more than one page) electronically.
The deadline for submission of CVs is 04.05.2019. Late applications will not be taken into consideration and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The assignment is expected to begin in May 2019.