› 12th International Symposium in Tunisia: Wars, Hope, Despair and Peace in History
Call for papers
The Tunisian-Mediterranean Association for Historical, Social and Economic Studies (TMA for HSES) & The Tunisian World Center for Studies, Research and Development (TWC for SRD) will organize the 12th International Symposium around the theme: Wars, Hope, Despair and Peace in History, on 25, 26 and 27 November 2019.
The theme "Wars, Hope, Despair and Peace in History" can be approached along the following lines:
1. Making war
- War and ideology
- The concept of war, the origin of the phenomenon, the art of war
- World Wars and regional wars
- Imperialist wars
- Colonial Wars
- Revolutionary wars, liberation wars
- Religious wars, holy wars
- Civil wars, interethnic wars, tribal wars
- Psychological Wars
- Cold War
- Electronic warfare
- ABC war
- Total war
- Asymmetric wars, terrorism, guerrilla warfare, subversive wars Genocides
- New forms of war: proxy wars (eg in Syria), punctual operations, commandos, targeted air strikes ...,
- Conduct of war, strategy, tactics, spying
- Goals of war, expectations of states and societies
- Life and death of fighters
- Laws of war, law of war, humanitarian action
2. Civil society and war
- Rear control by governments
- Censorship, propaganda, press and media, police surveillance
- Hunting for spies, saboteurs, traitors
- State of mind, trust or despair
- National Identity, Sacred Union, Patriotism, Nationalism
- Shortages, rationing, difficulties of daily life
- Poverty, charity, mutual aid, social action
- Common law crime in wartime
- Injured, refugees, displaced, forward- and rear-facing
- Irruption of fighting in the rear, occupied areas, annexations, violence, hostage-taking, rape
- Resistance, collaboration, wait-and-seeism
- Religious and intellectual life
- Art in the face of war: art at the service of war, art that denounces war
- The media and the war: photos and articles on the war, working conditions of the journalists...,
3. The economy in time of war
- Financing of war, taxation, loans, exchange controls, moratoria
- Transportation, railways, roads, air and sea, ports, submarine warfare
- Energy supply
- Agricultural and industrial production
- Replacement labor, women, immigrants, prisoners of war
- Trade, shortages, price increases
- Fraud, black market, alteration of product quality, speculation, scams
- Adventurers and new rich
- Difficulties of owners, savers
- Social unrest, strikes
- Tourism, luxury productions
- The case of occupied or annexed regions, requisitions, impositions, reduction of displacements, forced enlistment, resistance, repression
4. After the war
- War Prices
- Demographic balance sheet, loss of life, injured, disabled, birth deficit
- Losses by socio-professional category and region of origin
- Economic and financial balance, destruction, decline in production, indebtedness, inflation
- Peace negotiations, treaties, territorial changes, displaced persons, reparations, trials of war criminals
- Psychological assessment
- Brutalization, mass movements, pacifism, fascism, spirit of revolt
- Philosophical and moral reflection, new hopes, despair, decline of rationalism, feelings of the absurdity of the world
- Progress in techniques, organization of work, medicine
- Emancipation of women (or not)
- War and literature, cartoons
- War and visual arts, painting, engraving, sculpture, war memorials, photography
- Music in War: Military Music, Classical Music, Songs
- War, cinema and television
- Return to the ruins (towns and villages): return or not of the inhabitants, living conditions, restoration of administrative life
- Reconstruction: its financing, its terms
- Commemorations: ceremonies and monuments
- War tourism in the immediate post-war period (visit of graves and battlefields).
- June 30, 2019: Deadline for submissions to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 10, 2019: The selection of papers by the scientific committee will be made public + information on conference registration fees.
- November 15, 2019: Deadline for sending the Final Text
- 25, 26, and 27 November 2019: 12th International Symposium in Béja - TUNISIA.
Terms of submission
- Individual proposal: a new subject that has not already been published or presented in a scientific symposium.
- Detailed summary: one page at a minimum (Font: Times New Roman 12; Page: 2.5 cm margin; line spacing: single), with updated scientific C.V.
- Proposals for papers may be submitted in Arabic, English, French or Spanish.
- For French or Spanish abstracts, a detailed English translation is required (at least one page: Font: Times New Roman 12, Page: Margins 2.5 cm, Line spacing: simple).
More information about Symposium and Call for papers you can find here.
Registration form for Symposium is here (english version).