Science@Leuven Scholarships 2019 in Belgium
The Faculty of Science and its alumni association Science@Leuven are proud to announce the Science@Leuven Scholarships!
Registration for 2019-2020 is now open till the 15th of February 2019!
Which master programmes qualify for the Scholarship
Motivated and talented international students interested in participating in an international master programme of the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven are invited to apply for a scholarship. Due to specifically assigned scholarships, you can only apply for a limited number of Masters.
For the following masters you can apply for the Scholarship:
Students applying for the QASS-programme of the Master of Statistics are excluded from the Science@Leuven Scholarship, since this programme requires a master diploma.
Do not apply for the Scholarship if you are interested in another Master Programme. Your application will not be considered.
Amount of Scholarship
The amount of the scholarship can be up to 10.000 Euro for 1 year. The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund will decide exactly how much a scholarship will be. The scholarship will always cover the tuition fee for 1 year, the insurance and a basic health insurance coverage. The amount awarded for living expenses can vary.
If a student is awarded the full scholarship of 10.000 Euro, it is still advisable to bring some extra money. You can find an overview of costs to be expected here.
Most master programmes of the Faculty of Science are two-year programmes. The scholarship for the second master year will only be continued on the condition that the student had outstanding results the first master year.
Applicants must meet and prove the following requirements:
- the applicants have not studied or worked at the University of Leuven before,
- the applicants have a bachelor degree from a foreign university that gives them access to the master programme they are applying for,
- the applicants have not yet acquired a master degree or a PhD,
- the applicants can prove excellent study results during their former training,
- the applicants can prove a very strong knowledge of English,
- the applicants show strong motivation to follow a master programme at the Faculty of Science of the KU Leuven
- the applicants are willing to act as ambassador for the programme.
Please do not apply if you do not meet all the requirements.
The students that have been awarded a scholarship will be asked to sign a contract that stipulates the conditions of acceptance.
For all the English taught master programmes the following language requirements are requested. This is even more so for applicants for the Scholarship. The level of English is a selection criterium.
Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must provide evidence of English language proficiency.
- Applicants with a university degree earned in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or the USA: the certified diploma and transcripts suffice, provided they confirm that the entire university study was completed in English. Absolutely no other diplomas will be accepted as evidence even if the applicant has followed an exclusively English-taught programme.
- Other applicants should submit a satisfactory score on an internationally recognized test of English language proficiency: TOEFL (minimum score 94 internet-based with at least 19 for reading, 18 for Listening, 19 for speaking and 21 for writing) or IELTS (minimum score 7 overall, whilst at least 6,5 for reading, 6 for listening, 6 for speaking and 6 for writing). No other proficiency tests will be accepted, and absolutely no application will be considered without such a test certificate.
For applicants from outside Belgium, comparability of the diploma is not always easily established. Therefore we ask you to upload the following documents with your application:
- scans of transcripts and diplomas are required for all applicants. These documents are sufficient for applicants from universities that have an exchange agreement with the Faculty of Science of KU Leuven or universities that are in the global top 200 in the most recent Times Higher Education or QS rankings.
Additional documentation is required for applicants from other universities as it is impossible for us to reliably assess the comparability. In those cases the admission board will take a positive decision only if supporting information is provided:
- a complete list of course titles for which you have obtained a credit should be part of this. Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result you obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale; if a different scale is used, please provide a summary explanation on the meaning of the scores.
- for the courses that you deem most relevant as a preparation for the master that you are considering, provide a short (about one half to one page) description according to the standard guidelines for an ECTS-study guide.
The Admissions Board evaluates all applications and has the final say on the admissibility of the student, taking into account the relevant information.
Deadline for application
Only applications that have been submitted (with the International Office and registered on the website of the scholarship) before 15th of February will be considered for the scholarship.
- Apply for the master programme of your choice through the application tool of the KU Leuven. Please read the application instructions carefully.
- upload the following information via the KU Leuven application tool:
- a complete list of course titles for which you have obtained a credit. Indicate the course size (in ECTS-credits) and the result you obtained, preferably according to the ECTS-scale; if a different scale is used, please provide a summary explanation on the meaning of the scores;
- provide a short (about one half to one page) description according to the standard guidelines for an ECTS-study guide for the courses that you deem most relevant for the master that you are considering,
- two reference letters of internationally renowned professors;
- a letter of motivation for the programme.
- When you have completed and submitted your application for the master's programme, you will get a message on the screen that you succesfully submitted the application.
- IMPORTANT! Take a screen shot of this message. You will have to upload the screenshot when you register for the Science@Leuven Scholarship.
- Apply for the Science@Leuven Scholarship via this link.
- your registration is complete after you have received an email stating that you have been registered for the Science@Leuven Scholarship.
- Only students who have complied with all the above requirements will be considered for the Scholarship!
- You can apply for the scholarship immediately after you have applied for a certain programme, you do not need to wait until you are accepted by the master's programme. However your application for the scholarship will not be considered when it is clear that you will not be accepted for the master's programme.
For more detailed information, please visit the official webpage.