‘Dilemmas of Israeli Democracy’ Conference in Bucharest
Deadline: 19 May, 2013
Open to: researchers and experts interested in Israeli studies from the perspectives of political science, sociology, economy, law, international relations and security studies
Venue: Bucharest, Romania, 18-19 June, 2013
As part as its research strategy for 2013, the Center for Israeli Studies (CIS) at the National University for Political Science and Public Administration (SNSPA), in cooperation with the Embassy of Israel to Romania, will organize the conference “Dilemmas of Israeli Democracy”. The organizers are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for The 2nd Conference of the Center for Israeli Studies – SNSPA, which will take place in Bucharest, 18-19th of June 2013. The conference will approach controversial aspects of contemporary Israel, a country in which debate takes place on several levels: political discourse, press and civil society. Debate and lack of consensus are a crucial expression of Israeli democracy.
The organizers invite contributions that explore, but need not be limited to, the following topics
- social issues in Israel (reduction of social benefits, the erosion of the welfare state, social protests).
- the relationship between state and religion.
- issues related to the rule of law and the balance between Israeli political institutions;
- the priorities in the development of Israel (e.g.: “making the desert bloom” vs. developing the settlements).
- security and its impact on domestic politics;
- relations with the neighbors and other actors.
The Call is open to researchers and experts interested in Israeli studies from the perspectives of political science, sociology, economy, law, international relations and security studies.
A limited number of scholarships will be available to participants. The scholarship will cover the participants’ transport and accommodation for the duration of the conference.
- Please submit abstracts no longer than 250 words by the 19th of May at the email address email@example.com.
- Please make sure that you also send the full paper until the 16th of June. The working language of the conference is English.
- All abstracts and papers will be double-blind peer-reviewed in order to be published in the proceedings hosted by the Romanian Journal of Society and Politics. RJSP is currently indexed in the following databases: EBSCO-CEEAS, Jstor and CEEOL.